Representing Disabled Clients for Over 25 Years

Social Security Lawyer

Donald H. Peters


Percentage Fee

Only If You Win!

Page 3

Why does Social Security consider my age in determining whether I am disabled?

Social Security has to consider age, because that is what the Social Security Act requires.  As people get older, they become less adaptable, less able to switch to different jobs to cope with health problems.   A severe foot injury which might cause a 30- year- old to switch to a job in which he or she can sit down most of the time, might disable a 60- year- old person who could not make the adjustment to a different type of work.

Is there a list of illnesses that Social Security considers disabling?

There is a list of impairments. SEE IMPAIRMENT LISTINGS on the navigation bar at the top of the page. 

Claimants who meet a specified listing will be found disabled.  Claims that are not of listing level, must be judged against several other factors.

What can I do to improve my chances of winning my Social Security disability claim?

First, although some cases are won without Attorneys, your best shot is to contact an Attorney as soon as possible.  Be honest and complete in giving information to Social Security about what is disabling you.  Many claimants, for instance, fail to mention their psychiatric problems to Social Security because they are embarrassed about them.  In almost all cases, individuals who were slow learners in school fail to mention this fact to Social Security, even though it can have a good deal to do with whether or not the Social Security Disability claim is approved.  Beyond being honest and complete with Social Security, the most important thing that you can do is just keep appealing and hire an experienced person to represent you.  It is important to appeal because most claims are denied at the initial level, but are approved at higher levels of review.  It is important to hire an experienced person to represent you because you do not understand the way Social Security works. Statistically, claimants who employ an Attorney to represent them are much more likely to win than those who go unrepresented.

How do I find an attorney to represent me before on my Social Security Disability claim?

You can contact Social Security Professionals and speak with Attorney Donald H. Peters in Michigan  for free at .  You can also contact the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) referral service. You may call NOSSCR at 1-800-431-2804.   You can also contact various Bar Associations for the name of an Attorney.

If I am approved for Social Security Disability benefits, how much will I get?

For disability insurance benefits, it all depends upon how much you have worked and earned in the past.  For disabled widow's or widower's benefits, it depends upon how much the late husband or wife worked and earned.  For disabled adult child benefits, it all depends upon how much the parent worked and earned.  For all types of SSI benefits, there is a base amount that an individual with no other income receives.  Other income that an individual has reduces the amount of SSI which an individual can receive.

How far back will they pay benefits if I am found disabled?

For Disability Insurance Benefits and for Disabled Widow's and Widower's Benefits, the benefits cannot begin until five months have passed after the person becomes disabled.  In addition, benefits cannot be paid more than one year prior to the date of the claim. For a Disabled Adult Child, there is no five-month waiting period before benefits begin, but benefits cannot be paid more than six months prior to the date of the claim.  SSI benefits cannot be paid prior to the start of the month following the date of the claim.

What do I do if Social Security denies my claim for Social Security Disability benefits?

First, do not be upset or surprised. Only about 30 to 40% of Social Security Disability claims are approved at the initial level.  If you are denied at the initial level, unless you have already returned to work or expect to return to work in the near future, you should appeal.  In Michigan, you would file a Request for Hearing.  You should also consider employing an Attorney to represent you.

Why does Social Security turn down so many claims for disability benefits?

There is no simple answer to this question.  One reason is that the file may be lacking in medical proofs.  Many claims will not only need the requisite medical records to help prove a claim, but the claim may need expert opinions from treating physicians.  Another reasons is that SSA is concerned with people filing fraudulent claims.  If SSA is going to pay benefits on your claim, SSA will require that you prove your claim.  An Attorney can help you do this.


Call Now!

If you wish to hire a licensed Attorney to help win your claim, call Social Security Professionals.

Call Social Security Professionals now to discuss your claim for free!

You need no money to hire Attorney Donald H. Peters

(248) 549-3485

Southfield Lawyer Donald Peters of the Law Office of Donald H. Peters, P.C. in Southfield, Michigan, handles Social Security Disability claims throughout Michigan and in the Tri-County Metro Detroit area including Detroit, Southfield, Novi, Warren, Royal Oak, Roseville, Livonia, Mount Clemens, Sterling Heights, Farmington Hills, Birmingham, Berkley, Oak Park, West Bloomfield, Ann Arbor, Eastpointe, Waterford, Flint, Canton, Taylor, Romulus, Westland, Clinton Township, Troy, Dearborn, Brighton, Howell, Pontiac, Rochester Hills,  as well as Wayne County, Oakland County, Macomb County, Ingham County, and Livingston County, Michigan.


Material presented on the Social Security Professionals website is intended for general informational purposes only.  It is not intended as professional advice in any manner and should not be construed as such.  Individuals should never act upon any information provided in a website except that you should seek the advice of an Attorney. 

For the most up to date content regarding Social Security Disability please reference the Social Security Administration's website.

You may call Social Security Professionals and discuss your claim for free at:

(248) 549-3485